bacon and tomato pasta can be made with any tomatoes and in the summer the selection is great.
bacon and tomato pastaPrint
- salt & pepper
- 1 lb linguine
- ½ lb bacon cut into 1/2-inch pieces
- 3 cups cherry or grape tomatoes
- 1 shallot thinly sliced
- 2 large eggs
- 1/3 cup grated parmesan or pecorino romano cheese plus more for topping
- zest of 1 lemon
- 1 cup fresh basil torn
- bring a large pot of salted water to a boil.
- add the pasta and cook as the label directs.
- reserve 1 1/4 cups cooking water, then drain the pasta; set aside.
- meanwhile, cook the bacon in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat until crisp, about 5 minutes.
- add the tomatoes and shallot and cook until the tomatoes are starting to burst, about 5 minutes.
- pour off all but 2 tablespoons of the drippings from the skillet.
- whisk the eggs, cheese, lemon zest and 1 teaspoon pepper in a medium bowl.
- slowly whisk in 1 cup of the reserved cooking water; set aside.
- reduce the heat under the skillet to medium low.
- add the pasta and toss well.
- slowly pour in the egg mixture, tossing, to make a creamy sauce, about 1 minute.
- season with salt and add the remaining 1/4 cup cooking water as needed to loosen.
- stir in the basil.
- top each serving with more cheese and season with pepper.