cheeseburger empanadas are a great finger food that you can serve as a meal or as quick party food if your kids have friends over.
- 1/2 cup ketchup
- 1/2 cup mayonnaise
- 1/2 cup finely chopped dill pickle chips plus 18 whole dill pickle chips
- 1/4 cup yellow mustard
- kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 8 ounces ground beef chuck
- 1/2 small red onion finely chopped
- 4 slices american cheese roughly chopped
- 1 large egg
- one 1.1-pound package frozen puff pastry 2 sheets, thawed
- all-purpose flour for dusting
- position 2 racks in the middle of the oven and preheat the oven to 425 degrees f.
- line 2 large baking sheets with parchment.
- stir together the ketchup, mayonnaise, chopped pickles and mustard in a medium bowl.
- season with salt and set the sauce aside.
- heat the oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat.
- when it starts to shimmer, add the ground beef, a pinch of salt and a few grinds of pepper.
- cook, breaking the meat apart with a wooden spoon or heatproof spatula, until lightly browned in spots and just cooked through, 3 to 4 minutes.
- add the onion and cook, stirring constantly, until crisp-tender, about 2 minutes.
- use a large slotted spoon to scoop the meat mixture into a medium bowl and stir in 1/3 cup of the sauce.
- allow to cool slightly.
- fold the american cheese into the cooled mixture.
- lightly beat the egg with 1 tablespoon of water in a small bowl for the egg wash and set aside.
- unfold 1 puff pastry sheet onto a lightly floured surface.
- roll out into a 12-inch square.
- cut out 9 rounds with a 4-inch round cookie cutter.
- spoon 1 leveled tablespoon of the meat filling just off center on each round.
- top the filling with 1 whole pickle chip.
- brush the edge of each round with the egg wash and fold the puff pastry over the filling, slightly stretching if necessary.
- press the edges together and crimp the edges with a fork.
- transfer to one of the prepared baking sheets and brush each empanada with more egg wash.
- repeat this process with the remaining sheet of puff pastry and filling.
- bake until puffed and golden brown, about 15 minutes.
- serve hot with the remaining sauce for dipping