not only is this chicken milanese with tomato mozzarella and basil salad beautiful to look at, it tastes amazing too!
chicken milanese with tomato mozzarella and basil salad
- 1 ½ pounds chicken cutlets pounded 1/4-inch thick
- kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper as needed
- ⅔ cup extra-virgin olive oil
- ⅔ cup basil leaves
- 1 fat garlic clove finely grated or minced
- 1- pound cherry or grape tomatoes halved
- 8 ounces fresh mozzarella cut into 1/2-inch pieces
- ½ cup all-purpose flour
- 2 large eggs beaten
- 1 ¼ cups panko bread crumbs
- ¼ cup grated parmesan
- 4 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- lemon wedges for serving
lightly season chicken cutlets all over with salt and pepper; let rest while you make the basil oil.
in a blender or food processor, combine oil, basil, garlic and salt to taste; purée until smooth.
in a medium bowl, toss tomatoes and mozzarella with about half of the basil oil and salt to taste.
place flour in a shallow bowl or plate.
pour eggs into another shallow dish; combine panko and parmesan in a third dish.
in a large skillet, melt oil and butter over medium heat.
as it heats, dip a chicken cutlet in flour, shake off excess, then dip in eggs.
shake off excess, then dip both sides in panko mixture and transfer to a rimmed baking sheet.
repeat with remaining cutlets.
when oil is hot, fry 2 cutlets at a time until bottoms are golden, about 3 minutes.
flip and fry until golden and crispy all over, about another 3 minutes.
transfer to a paper towel-lined plate.
sprinkle immediately with salt.
taste tomato-mozzarella salad and add more salt and/or basil oil if needed.
serve cutlets topped with a squeeze of lemon, a drizzle of remaining basil oil and tomato-mozzarella salad.