chicken sausage and peppers
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 3/4 pound sweet or hot italian sausage cut into chunks
- 3/4 pound skinless boneless chicken breasts, cut into chunks
- salt & pepper
- 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
- 1 small onion chopped
- 2 italian green frying peppers cut into 1-inch pieces
- 3 cloves garlic roughly chopped
- 1/2 cup dry white wine
- 3/4 cup low-sodium chicken broth
- 1/4 cup roughly chopped fresh parsley
- 2 jarred pickled cherry peppers chopped, plus 2 tablespoons liquid from the jar
heat 1 tablespoon butter in a large skillet over medium-high heat.
cook the sausage until golden, about 2 minutes.
season the chicken with salt and pepper, then toss with the flour in a bowl; add to the skillet and cook until browned but not cooked through, about 3 minutes.
add the onion, peppers, garlic, 1/2 teaspoon salt, and pepper to taste and cook 3 minutes.
add the wine, scraping up any browned bits; bring to a boil and cook until slightly reduced, about 1 minute.
add the broth and bring to a gentle simmer.
cover and cook until the sausage and chicken are cooked through, about 5 minutes.
transfer the chicken, sausage and vegetables to a platter with a slotted spoon.
increase the heat to high and stir the parsley and cherry peppers and their liquid into the skillet; boil until reduced by one-third, 2 to 3 minutes.
remove from the heat and stir in the remaining 1 tablespoon butter.
pour the sauce over the chicken mixture.