- 2 lemons 2, halved, plus 1 cut in wedges for serving
- 1/2 cup old bay seasoning
- 8 cloves garlic smashed
- 1 large red onion quartered
- 1 pkg fresh thyme
- 1 lb baby red potatoes cut in 1/2
- 4 ears corn husked and snapped in half
- 1 lb large shrimp unpeeled
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- hot sauce for serving (optional)
- fill a large pot with 4 quarts of water.
- squeeze the lemon juice into the water and add the squeezed lemon halves.
- add the old bay, garlic and onion.
- tie the thyme sprigs together with kitchen twine and add to the pot.
- cover and bring to a boil, then reduce to a simmer and cook about 5 minutes.
- add the potatoes to the pot and cook until just tender, about 10 minutes.
- add the corn and cook 5 more minutes.
- rinse the shrimp and add to the pot, cover and cook until the shrimp curl and are just opaque, 2 to 3 minutes.
- transfer the shrimp and vegetables with a slotted spoon or skimmer to a large bowl.
- add the butter and about 1 cup broth to the bowl and toss until the butter is melted.
- transfer the shrimp and vegetables to a platter.
- serve with the remaining broth, lemon wedges and hot sauce, if desired