shrimp fra diavolo is a fancy dish that can be made at home in under 30 minutes for under $10
shrimp fra diavolo
- 1- pound large shrimp peeled, deveined
- 1 teaspoon salt plus additional as needed
- 1 teaspoon dried crushed red pepper flakes
- 3 tablespoons olive oil plus 1 to 2 tablespoons
- 1 medium onion sliced
- 1 14 1/2-ounce can diced tomatoes
- 1 cup dry white wine
- 3 garlic cloves chopped
- 1/4 teaspoon dried oregano leaves
- 3 tablespoons chopped fresh italian parsley leaves
- 3 tablespoons chopped fresh basil leaves
toss the shrimp in a medium bowl with 1 teaspoon of salt and red pepper flakes.
heat the 3 tablespoons oil in a heavy large skillet over medium-high heat.
add the shrimp and saute for about a minute, toss, and continue cooking until just cooked through, about 1 to 2 minutes.
transfer the shrimp to a large plate; set aside.
add the onion to the same skillet, adding 1 to 2 teaspoons of olive oil to the pan, if necessary, and saute until translucent, about 5 minutes.
add the tomatoes with their juices, wine, garlic, and oregano.
simmer until the sauce thickens slightly, about 10 minutes.
return the shrimp and any accumulated juices to the tomato mixture; toss to coat, and cook for about a minute so the flavors meld together.
stir in the parsley and basil.
season with more salt, to taste, and serve.